2. In A Quiet Place, when the son’s toy spaceship started making noise, and the monsters found and killed him because the father couldn’t save him in time.
3. In What to Expect When You’re Expecting, when Rosie had a miscarriage in the middle of the night.
4. In Perks of Being a Wallflower, when Charlie realized that his aunt sexually abused him as a child.
5. In What Women Want, when Nick heard Erin’s suicidal thoughts, and after she didn’t show up for work he went to her apartment and found a suicide note.
6. In Titanic, when the ship was sinking and the third-class passengers were trapped, but the mom didn’t want to panic her kids, so she tucked them in and told them one final bedtime story.
7. In I Am Legend, when Will Smith’s character had to kill his dog – his only living friend in the entire world – after it got infected.
8. In Avengers: Endgame, when Hawkeye and Black Widow both tried to sacrifice themselves for the Soul Stone, and Black Widow ended up dying.
9. In Up, when Carl and Ellie’s love story unfolded in the first eight minutes of the movie, and Ellie suffered a miscarriage immediately after decorating the new nursery.
10. In Hereditary, when Charlie had an allergic reaction and stuck her head out the window to get some fresh air, but she was instantly decapitated by a road sign.
The image is removed because of its graphic nature.
11. In Cruel Intentions, when Annette fell into oncoming traffic, so Sebastian pushed her away but got hit by a taxi and literally died.
12. In The Notebook, when Allie finally remembered who Noah was, and then they died in bed next to each other after saying “good night” one final time.
13. In Coco, when Ernesto literally poisoned Héctor and stole all of his songs because Héctor wanted to return to his family.
14. In Dead Poet’s Society, when Neil killed himself in the middle of the night, and his parents found the body.
15. In Atonement, when Briony tricked everyone into thinking Robbie and Cecilia lived happily ever after, only to reveal that her lies actually led to their deaths.
16. In One Day, when Emma randomly got hit by a truck while riding her bike, and then died.
17. In Inside Out, when Bing Bong sacrificed himself so Joy could save Riley:
18. In La La Land, when the dreamy montage showed Mia and Sebastian living happily ever after, but then it cut back to reality, and Mia was with a different guy.
19. In Avengers: Infinity War, when Peter Parker was about to disintegrate into dust, and he called for Tony Stark to save him.
20. In Wedding Crashers, when Vince Vaughn’s character was randomly woken up in the middle of the night, tied to the bed, and then raped.
21. In Tarzan, when Clayton fell from the tree, was tangled in the vines, accidentally got hanged, and died.
22. In Matilda, when Miss Trunchbull put Matilda in The Chokey, which also had rusty spikes sticking through it.
23. In Bridge to Terabithia, when Jess found out that Leslie drowned in the creek because the rope swing broke.
24. In About Time, when Tim knew his father was about to die, so he let his dad win at ping-pong and then said a final goodbye.
25. In Pretty Woman, when Vivian was slapped and sexually assaulted by Philip in the hotel room.