Choosing a sofa for a kitchen isn’t as easy as you might think. There are tons of small aspects to be considered: kitchen size, its style, free space, color, and much more. This piece of furniture can be quite useful, as it helps you create a separate dining area and make the atmosphere cozier. Learn to choose the right sofa with this article.
To begin with, let’s see what the most common types of kitchen sofas are.
– Corner. Compact size and functionality are what makes these models stand out from others. They will perfectly fit into any kitchen. The back of a corner sofa can feature additional modifications.
– Semicircular. Semicircular models suit best for large studio apartments with a separate dining area. This interior item usually features a transformation mechanism that allows turning it into a comfortable double bed.
– Modular. It’s often used in the design of kitchens and living rooms. It consists of separate modules, allowing you to experiment with its shape, creating new combinations.
– Couch. This is an excellent choice if you need an extra bed. It has two functions: providing a comfortable place for sitting and sleeping. When choosing this model, check how strong and reliable its folding mechanism is.
It’s worth noting that not only the type but also filling is important. If you want your new purchase to the last longer, choose a high-quality frame, upholstery, and filling.
You can basically find the perfect sofa you’re looking for at any living room furniture sale, but there are a few key details that you need to consider before buying it.
The best choice of furniture is natural wood. The most durable frames are made of dense and durable varieties, such as beech, oak, or pine. Wood must be impregnated with a special solution that protects furniture from moisture.
As for quality, the best material is leather, since it’s easy to clean and doesn’t absorb dirt. If you want the sofa to have fabric upholstery, choose flock, chenille, jacquard, or a mixture of cotton and polyester.
Style and color
Here, your choice depends on the design of the kitchen. The most practical option is a black or dark brown leather model. On the other hand, fabric upholstery allows you to choose between a large number of colors and textures. You might like bright colors with an interesting pattern or calm and pastel options. Choose with the general style of your kitchen in mind. Fabrics with patterns mask dirt spots pretty well, so they’re easier to wash.
Decide what you need a sofa for. If you plan to use it as a place for sleep, then keep in mind that when you convert it into a bed, it will require extra space. In addition, you should pay attention to the folding mechanism: it must be strong and reliable.
Opt for practical and hypoallergenic solutions. The best fillings are hollow fiber or polyurethane foam. A kitchen is quite a dirty place, so it’s better to buy removable covers to protect the upholstery. They’re easily changed and washable.
For starters, you need to decide on its size. To do this, you should answer three questions:
– What’s the size of the kitchen?
– How much space can be allocated for a new piece of furniture?
– How many people will use it?
There are a few spots where you can place your new purchase:
– Place it right next to the kitchen set – this is the standard option suitable for a rectangular-shaped kitchen.
– If you bought a corner sofa, you can place it in the corner of the room, but if your kitchen is spacious enough, you can also place it in the center, creating a separate ‘islet.’
– Place it separately from the dining area as an additional place for rest.
Also, this piece of furniture can be used as a zone delimiter. This option works in a studio apartment where the kitchen is combined with the living room.